- Joined
- Dec 19, 2021
- Messages
- 1,365
- Points
- 83
Hello all,
Shortly after I released the brand new Linux re-write of Cactus, I re-added the download links for the deprecated Windows version with a disclaimer that there were fundamental architecture changes between the Linux and Windows version, that the additional Cactus Bundle files need to be retrieved from the Cactus Bundle for Linux, and that the download is provided as is without any technical support. However, I'm still receiving messages regarding the Windows version and given that all of the instructions and documentation on the Cactus Home Page are for Linux, this is causing a lot more confusion than what I'm willing to deal with. For this reason, I've decided to remove the publicly facing Windows links from my documentation.
The deprecated Windows version will continue to be distributed via the Resource Manager for those that can find it and are specifically looking for it. The Cactus Installation Video for Windows will also no longer be available due to the architecture differences. If someone were to follow the video as is, they would be lost because the files are no longer in the same location. As I mentioned before, these binaries are just distributed as is without any technical support nor guidance. The officially supported platform for Cactus is Linux. I won't be responding to any messages from now on that are about Windows. Any technical support for Windows will need to be provided by the community at the community's discretion. Since the Windows version is unsupported, there will be no further updates to Cactus for Windows. If desired, the community can fork the Cactus for Windows source code and maintain it somewhere else. However due note that I won't be maintaining any sort of compatibility or parity with any forks created, and they won't be considered during my development.
Jonathan
Shortly after I released the brand new Linux re-write of Cactus, I re-added the download links for the deprecated Windows version with a disclaimer that there were fundamental architecture changes between the Linux and Windows version, that the additional Cactus Bundle files need to be retrieved from the Cactus Bundle for Linux, and that the download is provided as is without any technical support. However, I'm still receiving messages regarding the Windows version and given that all of the instructions and documentation on the Cactus Home Page are for Linux, this is causing a lot more confusion than what I'm willing to deal with. For this reason, I've decided to remove the publicly facing Windows links from my documentation.
The deprecated Windows version will continue to be distributed via the Resource Manager for those that can find it and are specifically looking for it. The Cactus Installation Video for Windows will also no longer be available due to the architecture differences. If someone were to follow the video as is, they would be lost because the files are no longer in the same location. As I mentioned before, these binaries are just distributed as is without any technical support nor guidance. The officially supported platform for Cactus is Linux. I won't be responding to any messages from now on that are about Windows. Any technical support for Windows will need to be provided by the community at the community's discretion. Since the Windows version is unsupported, there will be no further updates to Cactus for Windows. If desired, the community can fork the Cactus for Windows source code and maintain it somewhere else. However due note that I won't be maintaining any sort of compatibility or parity with any forks created, and they won't be considered during my development.
Jonathan