Help with Cactus

StereopwnZ

New member
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Messages
1
Points
1
I've been trying to wrap my head around getting this thing to work. I have downloaded Cactus v4.01 which is the only one under the Windows section it allows me to download. I've tried to follow many instructions but they are referencing folders such as Platform which doesn't come with the download. Do I just make this folder myself, and if so what do I put in this folder to allow it to find the versions of the game I want?

The download only comes with
Cactus.exe
Castle.core.dll
Castle.Windsor.dll
CommonServiceLocator.dll
GalaSoft.MvmLight.extras.dll
GalaSoft.MvmLight.Platform.dll
GongSolutions.WPF.DragDrop.dll
MaterialDesignColors.dll
MaterialDesignThemes.Wpf.dll
Newtonsoft.Json.dll
System.Windows.Interactivity.dll

No other folders exist. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.
 
As mentioned in the download section for the Windows version:

The older version of Cactus is no longer supported and no technical support will be provided for it. However, you can download the last available release below. Due note that Cactus 4 and 5 have different architectures and are designed for different operating systems. You can still follow the old video I made for Windows below, but you'll need to manually extract the files from the latest Cactus Bundle and figure out where they go in the old architecture. Lastly, Cactus was tested on Windows 7 and Windows 10. If you are on Windows 7 RTM (SP0), you'll want to install Windows 7 SP1, .NET Framework 4.6.1, and Visual C++ 2015Redistributable. All of the files can be found below and should be installed sequentially after a fresh install. These files are provided as is and you are on your own.
 
Hey @StereopwnZ. Welcome to the forum. :)

I've been trying to wrap my head around getting this thing to work. I have downloaded Cactus v4.01 which is the only one under the Windows section it allows me to download. I've tried to follow many instructions but they are referencing folders such as Platform which doesn't come with the download. Do I just make this folder myself, and if so what do I put in this folder to allow it to find the versions of the game I want?

I'll try to simplify, but please do take into mind everything that @fearedbliss said above.
  • Create a main directory/folder somewhere for your entire game install. You can name it Diablo 2, Cactus, whatever.
  • Within that folder, the expectation is that you have a Platforms folder, a Saves folder, and a Shaders folder.
    • Inside the Platforms folder, you will put all the Platforms you expect to play. Such as a folder named 1.09 for version 1.09, etc. More on getting these files below.
  • Within the main directory, you will need to place all the files you previously obtained from the Cactus v4.01 archive.
Next, in order to obtain the needed Platforms that Cactus needs, and since they aren't included in the v4.01 archive, go and download the latest Cactus from here (and don't worry that it's for Linux): https://themovingcaravan.com/diablo/Cactus.tar.xz.

Extract the tar archive with something like 7-Zip.

Next, you will need all the folders in Common\Worldstones directory. Worldstones is the new nomenclature for what used to be called Platforms. You could also just simply rename this folder, and drop it in the main Cactus directory, assuming you want all of them.

Finally, you'll also want the files found in the Core directory. Just drag and drop those into your main Cactus directory.

I may be missing something, but feel free to post here, and I'll be happy to help. I've been playing Diablo 2 on Windows using Cactus since 2022 and have never looked back!

Have fun,
Manny
 
Last edited:
Back
Top