[RESOLVED] I cannot get Singling to work on 1.05B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snip

Hi,

For some reason my ’players’ command won’t work in 1.05B. Stock 1.05B works like a charm.
I’ve got the Diablo II (and LOD) 1.14 release installed by using the official blizzard downloader, i got Cactus 2.6.0 installed and setup to start 1.05B, MPQ are fixed, Singling files are copied from the following path: ...\Cactus\2. Singling\1. Files\1.05b to ...\Diablo II\Platforms\1.05b.
Now when I start Diablo II 1.05b from Cactus the Blizzard logo animation plays, Blizzard North animation, main menu, create a new character, enter game, type players 1, kill a zombie I get 33 experience points. Type players 8 kill another zombie, I still get 33 experience points.

Am I doing something wrong here? OS I’m running the game on is Windows 10 Home 64 Bits.

what the heck.. just after posting this I went into Cactus Settings to see if something is wrong, Canceled out.
Start my game, and it suddenly works? :shock: I’m now getting 187 (iirc) experience on players 8.
Ehh.. Still leaving this topic up to see if anyone has a clue what happened.

edit: A huuuuuuuge thank you to fearedbliss. <3 I absolutely love your application.
your \"Patch Rationale\" inspired me to start on 1.05b, after burning out hard on D2R I am once again in love with classic D2.
The same thing happened when I tried Fallout (1) last year.. these games just have such charm and simplicity you don’t see nowadays anymore.

Hey [mention]Snip[/mention],

Welcome to the forum. Yup, as documented here: https://github.com/fearedbliss/Cactus#updating-files-in-the-platforms-folder

Whenever you place files in the Platforms folder, you need to click reset so the files actually are used the next time you run the platform. You probably ran 1.05b first with just the stock files, then installed Singling into the 1.05b folder directly, and re ran the platform without resetting, so it still used the original files without Singling. After that you probably switched to another platform/version and then switched back to 1.05b, which reinstalled the new files. That’s why it worked at the end. If you see the intro cinematics or you can click the \"battle.net\" button and it lets you connect online, then Singling is not enabled.

And yea, 1.05b is amazing <3. Have fun!

PS: RE: Fallout 1, if you are playing the original Fallout 1 from the CDs, you can also use use cnc-ddraw as your video renderer for that. I worked with the cnc-ddraw developer to get support working for the original (CD versions of) Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Baldur’s Gate 1, and Baldur’s Gate 2 :). You can use it for those games starting with cnc-ddraw 4.8.0.0. Cactus comes with cnc-ddraw 5.1.0.0, so you can just copy that version for those games as well.

fearedbliss said:
Hey [mention]Snip[/mention],

Welcome to the forum. Yup, as documented here: https://github.com/fearedbliss/Cactus#updating-files-in-the-platforms-folder

Whenever you place files in the Platforms folder, you need to click reset so the files actually are used the next time you run the platform. You probably ran 1.05b first with just the stock files, then installed Singling into the 1.05b folder directly, and re ran the platform without resetting, so it still used the original files without Singling. After that you probably switched to another platform/version and then switched back to 1.05b, which reinstalled the new files. That’s why it worked at the end. If you see the intro cinematics or you can click the \"battle.net\" button and it lets you connect online, then Singling is not enabled.

And yea, 1.05b is amazing <3. Have fun!

PS: RE: Fallout 1, if you are playing the original Fallout 1 from the CDs, you can also use use cnc-ddraw as your video renderer for that. I worked with the cnc-ddraw developer to get support working for the original (CD versions of) Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Baldur’s Gate 1, and Baldur’s Gate 2 :). You can use it for those games starting with cnc-ddraw 4.8.0.0. Cactus comes with cnc-ddraw 5.1.0.0, so you can just copy that version for those games as well.

Hey,

Doh. I must have missed that entry while reading. :)
You are right. I played stock 1.05b for a few levels and figured that I might as well use Singling. Only after switching to 1.09b (and checking the settings) it indeed starting working.

About Fallout, unfortunately I do not have my original disc copy anymore. I do have a GOG download, which I prefer playing in the original resolution instead of the \"HD/high res\" patches. Good to know that cnc-ddraw works on it as well.
Last year I did 2 runs of it back-to-back. One with the .223 pistol and one using the Ripper. Both were a lot of fun.

Haha, well I’m glad the mystery of the Singling version is resolved.

As for Fallout, I have the original CDs in my collection but I haven’t actually played them yet haha, I’ve only made disc image backups of them and have them stored safely. But eventually I want to start playing them for sure. I was also having a lot of fun playing a little bit of Baldur’s Gate 1 as well, and I’ll need to go back, start over, and actually beat it. Diablo 1 and 2 are keeping me busy haha.

RE: cnc-ddraw, cnc-ddraw doesn’t have any HD resolution enhancements, it’s just a modern converter for DirectDraw. It does have basic glsl shader support but that’s pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back